On Saturday prior to the Wales vs Argentina World Cup match, Narberth travelled to Crymych for an early kick off to their Championship League Match.

As anticipated the game was a close-run affair with the Otters gaining ascendency in the final quarter of the match.

Narberth opened the scoring when after a forward drive by 2nd Row Will Blackburn, full back Ashley Sutton made the initial break and passed inside to the supporting scrum half, Lewys Gibby, who ran in under the posts for a try converted by Sutton.

Narberth RFC
(Pic supplied)
Narberth RFC
(Pic supplied)

Almost immediately from the restart Crymych were awarded a penalty which was converted by their fly half to make the score 3-7.

From a lineout close to the Crymych try line a rolling maul by the Narberth forwards was brought down just short but when the ball was spun wide Narberth centre Ilan Phillips dived over to score a try near the posts which Sutton converted.

After several penalties close to the Narberth try line Crymych got back into the game when winger Laurence Headlam crashed over for a try wide out which was converted to bring the score to 10-14.

Within ten minutes a set move from a lineout saw centre Ilan Phillips cut a great angle to slice through the Crymych defence and score near the posts. Surprisingly Sutton missed the conversion.

Then right on half time after considerable pressure near the Narberth try line the Crymych fly half saw a gap and jinked through the Narberth defence to score a try under the posts which he duly converted to make it 17-19.

For the first twenty minutes of the second half there was nothing between the two teams and good defence from both sides was stifling all attacking play.

Eventually Crymych got the breakthrough when a quick tap penalty saw them spread the ball wide for centre Rhys Davies to score wide out. The conversion was successful to stretch the home team’s lead to 24-19.

Almost straight from the kick off Narberth were awarded a penalty which Rogers converted. Another strong scrummage from the Narberth pack resulted in a further penalty which was again kicked by Rogers to put the Otters back in front 24-25.

With ten minutes left it was anyone’s game to win but from a Narberth lineout twenty metres out centre Phillips was again on hand to find a gap in the Crymych defence and score a try under the posts converted by Rogers.

Crymych threw everything into attack but after their backs dropped the ball Otters wing Josh Davies was on hand to collect the ball and counter attack.

Swift passing between Rogers, Gibby and replacement full back Llew Jones saw Jones race in under the posts for a further try converted by Rogers to complete the scoring and see the Otters eventually win the match 24-39.

This weekend the Otters have another local derby when Newcastle Emlyn are the visitors to the Lewis Lloyd Ground.