A superb collection of records and photographs of a famous RAF squadron has found a permanent museum home, thanks to the Pembroke Dock Heritage Trust. Five large bound volumes recording the final years of No 205 Squadron in Far Eastern service, initially gifted to the Pembroke Dock Trust, have now been donated to the Avro Heritage Museum at Woodford, near Manchester.
No 205 Squadron flew flying boats, latterly the Short Sunderland, up to 1959 when the Avro Shackleton took on its maritime roles.
It is records and photos of 205’s Shackleton era from 1959 to final disbandment in 1971 that have been given to the Avro Museum, after contact was made by Trevor Clark of the Pembroke Dock Collections Team.
Recently Trust Patron John Evans visited Woodford and handed over the 205 Collection on behalf of the donor, Squadron Leader John Cairns, a former Shackleton Air Electronics Officer who later flew in Vulcans and Ninrods. The Avro Centre recently acquired a Shackleton which will go on display in due course.