Narberth Youth retain Griffiths Cup

Thursday 21st April 2022 4:07 pm
[email protected]
Narberth RFC youth team
(Pic. Powerpix Photography )

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

The clouds cleared on Good Friday afternoon for the Griffiths Cup Final - an Under 18s competition sponsored by the Griffiths family of Neyland and where this occasion is always hosted.

This year’s finalists were old rivals Narberth and Crymych who over the years at junior level have had many a thrilling encounter.

This was no exception and a large crowd were entertained by running rugby and ferocious forward exchanges. There was no quarter given with the game in the balance down to the last minute.

Narberth played downhill in the first half with the wind in their favour, and had the bulk of the early possession and had several good passages of play but a superb Crymych defence held out.

The pressure had to tell though and Narberth scored from a smart blindside move from a scrum involving Cian Rogers and Elliot Evans releasing Owen Llewellyn in the corner.

They scored again following a sweeping move that went touchline to touchline with Llewellyn again scoring.

Crymych responded well and had several attacks with their forwards generating excellent fast ball but strong defence held on, and Narberth went in 10 - 0 up at the break.

The young Otters were the first to score in the second half with great work from Kyle Day and Yori Evans resulting in James Price scoring in the corner.

As expected Crymych came roaring back with an excellent try through sixteen-year-old Jake Noot converted by Owain Davies.

They added a further try from impressive winger Hedd George with Davies again converting. It was now a one point game with the momentum and the elements with Crymych.

Narberth nerves were settled with a well struck penalty from Fraser Jones, and the action continued with several breakouts from the Otters and sustained pressure from their opponents.

There was one last attack from Crymych which fell agonisingly short in the corner as the final whistle went.

Outstanding for Crymych were Macs Page, Cai Evans, and Iestyn Wood; and for Narberth, the back row of Yori Evans, Cian Rogers and skipper Ioan Phillips had tremendous games alongside wingers James Price and Owen Llewellyn.

However man of the match went to Narberth’s Kyle Day who showed amazing athleticism and pace from his second row berth.

This was a credit to Pembrokeshire rugby with two well coached sides.

The match was officiated by Ceri Harries with assistants Martyn Rudd and Dave Byrne.

Crymych: Tomos Davies: Hedd George; Deian Davies; Macs Page; Dylan Bowen: Owain Davies; Gruffydd Edwards: Ben Mansfield; Rhys Jones; Gad Bowen: Iestyn Wood; Steffan Morris: Cai Ifans; Aneurin Vaughan: Ptolemy Alleyne. Replacements: Lloyd Hughes; Jake Noott; Iwan Laugharne; Huw Reed; Dyfrig Deller; Charlie Fenn; Iolo Phillips; Ellis James.

Coaches: Aled Harries; Barry Davies. Team Manager: Ann-Marie Wood.

Narberth: Fraser Jones: James Price; Bradley Cramb; Shayne Norcross; Owen Llewellyn: Charlie Phillips; Elliott Evans: Jack Davies; Harley Young; Owain Jones: Kyle Day; Aaron Thompson: Ioan Phillips; Cean Rogers; Iori Morgan. Replacements: James Morgan; Jamie Goldsworthy; Jayden Scourfield; Hugo Kessels; Harri Harries; Tom Monk; George Jones; Will Nicholas.

Coaches: Randal Evans; Shane Higgon; Rob Nicholas. Team Manager: Simon Phillips.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0