Nearly 600 locals enjoyed an evening at the Blue Lagoon at Bluestone National Park Resort recently as part of the first in a series of community events being held at the water park.

Get The Boys A Lift were the first Pembrokeshire organisation to benefit from the ticket sales on February 13. The event raised around £6,000 with 75% of that money going directly to GTBAL and the remaining 25% directed to the Bluestone Foundation.

The community events not only allow locals exclusive access to the Blue Lagoon, they also generate much-needed funds for charities and not-for-profit organisations in Pembrokeshire.

The first event marked the relaunch of the Bluestone Foundation and the reopening of the community fund. Pembrokeshire charities and not-for-profit organisations can now apply for money from this fund as well as to host the Blue Lagoon events.

Since its inception, the Bluestone Foundation has distributed around a third of a million pounds to ‘help people, help themselves’ through economic, social, and environmental initiatives.

The next community event held at the Blue Lagoon will be on May 28 and proceeds will be going to the VC Gallery in Haverfordwest which helps veterans and the community through the medium of art engagement.

The Foundation will continue to work with Pembrokeshire Association of Voluntary Services (PAVS) to help ensure funds are awarded in a fair and transparent way.

To date, the Bluestone Foundation has given thousands of pounds in grants to organisations such as - Pembrokeshire’s Darwin Centre, PATCH, Action for Children, the Fishguard Sea Cadets, Paul Sartori, Hywel Dda health board, the Tanyard, Pembrokeshire People First and Pembroke Dock Dockers.

The VC Gallery were awarded money to support the running costs of the charity while Pembrokeshire FRAME were given money to install two community fridges in Haverfordwest and Pembroke Dock.

Over Christmas 2023, the Foundation donated £900 to PATCH, the biggest foodbank in Pembrokeshire which provided over 500 food parcels during the 2023 festive season. It also awarded £5,000 to go towards a new van for PATCH. And money given to Action for Children has helped the provision of a coffee shop at Haverfordwest Magistrates Courts to give disabled young people training opportunities and work experience.

Marten Lewis, chairman of the Bluestone Foundation, said: “I’m really pleased that the Bluestone Foundation is once again inviting Pembrokeshire charities and not-for-profit organisations to apply for funding. I am looking forward to working with organisations across the county and seeing the money make a difference in our communities.

“Our first community event at the Blue Lagoon was a sell out and it was lovely to see so many locals enjoying the facilities while raising much-needed funds.”

Lorna Livock, funding development officer at PAVS, said: “This exciting collaboration unites Bluestone’s passion for supporting Pembrokeshire communities with PAVS fund management experience and connection to third sector groups.

“Local funding opportunities for impactful grassroots community projects are especially vital at a time of reduced funding budgets. We can’t wait to see the projects which come forward.”