Tenby’s RNLI lifeboat crew were called into action last night, to save four swimmers who had been taken several hundred metres out to sea off Castle Beach by the current.

The inshore lifeboat was launched at 8 pm on Sunday, August 14 after the coastguard received a call reporting that four swimmers were caught in the current between St Catherine’s Island and Castle beach and were being taken out to sea.

The volunteer crew were on scene in minutes and quickly spotted the casualties frantically waving to them.

They were quickly plucked from the water and checked over to make sure they needed no medical assistance.

Luckily, they were cold and very tired but otherwise, unharmed.

As the crew headed towards shore to drop off the casualties, they offered a lift back in to a member of the public that had spotted the swimmers in difficulty and was swimming out to assist.

With all the casualties now safely ashore, the lifeboat was stood down to return to station.

A spokesperson for Tenby RNLI said: “When going sea swimming, always try to go with others and keep an eye out for signs alerting you to dangers such as rips and currents.

“The swimmers were very lucky on this occasion that someone spotted them in difficulty and that the lifeboat crew got there so quickly, otherwise it could have been a totally different outcome.

“Our thanks to the swimmer who was on their way to assist and also to the kayakers who were arriving on scene to help at the same time as the lifeboat".

Earlier in the day, the all-weather lifeboat was launched shortly after 3 pm, after the coastguard received a 999 call from the owner of a 31ft motor vessel stating that he’d lost engine power off Worm’s Head.

The lifeboat made best speed to the area, some 14 miles south east of Tenby and was alongside the casualty vessel 30 minutes later.

The vessel was taken in tow after the owner requested to be taken around the safety of Oxwich bay, from where he had arranged a further tow around to Swansea.

With the casualty vessel now safely at anchor at Oxwich bay and his tow on the way, the lifeboat was stood down to return to station, arriving at 6.20 pm.