Pembroke Dock, Tenby and Milford Haven crews were called to an incident in Monkton, Pembrokeshire.

Crews tackled a fire on Wednesday evening in Monkton near Pembroke.

The fire involved four apartments, which originated from the burning of waste wood in an improvised brazier.  The occupant had left the burning material and, on their return, found that the fire had got out of control.

A structure in the property’s rear courtyard was ‘well alight’, causing damage to a first-floor apartment. The blaze resulted in the temporary evacuation of several other properties while the incident was ongoing.

All occupants were out of the property prior to the arrival of the crews.

Crews utilised eight breathing apparatus sets, one 10.5m ladder, two hose reel jets, one main jet and two thermal imaging cameras.  The Local Authority and National Grid were also in attendance and proceeded to secure some of the apartments. 

The crews were called out at 8.07pm and left the scene at 10.53pm.

Safety advice on controlled burning and burning household waste

Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service is issuing a reminder on staying safe when planning a controlled burn or when burning household waste, especially in the dry summer months.

Dry weather allows for fires to spread easily and often take place in areas where access and water supply is limited.  Out of control fires can put homes, wildlife, livestock and the lives of crews and residents at risk.

Please follow the guidelines below when thinking of burning waste:

  • It is illegal to leave a fire unattended or to have too few people to control it
  • Where possible, take refuse to your local recycling centre
  • Check wind direction and ensure there is no risk to property, roads, and wildlife
  • If a fire gets out of control, contact the fire and rescue service immediately giving details of location and access
  • Always ensure a fire is completely out before you leave it and check next day to ensure it has not reignited.
Aftermath of apartment fire in monkton
(Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service)