On Saturday Narberth travelled to Ammanford on a wet and windy day but still managed to score six tries against a tough home team who gave the Otters a stern test.

Fly half Jonathan Rogers opened the scoring for the visitors with a penalty but Ammanford struck back almost immediately when their speedy left wing got outside his opposite number and ran in unopposed under the posts for a converted try.

The Otters got back on the attack when young left wing Rhys Harries raced down the touchline and kicked ahead leaving the home team no option but to carry the ball over their own line.

From the resulting scrum the ball was passed out quickly for full back Ashley Sutton to score a try wide out which Rogers converted.

Harries was again involved in the Otters next try when he intercepted a loose pass and sprinted downfield. He was tackled just short of the line but got his pass away to supporting No.8 Roy Osborn who dived over to score a try in the corner.

Narberth were beginning to dominate the game at this stage and after a lineout close to the home team’s try line, the Otters set up a rolling maul and drove over for centre Dean James to touch down for another try converted by Rogers.

Narberth then went completely off the boil which let Ammanford back into the game. Some lack lustre tackling in defence saw the Ammanford outside centre crash over the line for an unconverted try; and within minutes the home team had scored again when their forwards won the ball at a lineout close to the visitors’ line and drove over for a try converted by their fly half to bring the score back to 19-22.

Narberth vs Ammanford action
(Pic supplied)

This shook the Otters back into action and after some forward rushes by prop Bradley Davies and No.8 Osborn the ball was eventually spun out wide to centre Hedd Nicholas who crashed over wide out for an unconverted try which brought up the half time score to 19-27 in favour of the Otters.

Ammanford came out for the second half with renewed vigour and only solid defence from the Narberth team kept them out. Eventually a penalty was conceded which the home team fly half kicked to reduce the deficit to 22-27.

Ten minutes later Narberth were awarded a penalty and Rogers kick sailed through the posts to again stretch the lead to 22-30.

Narberth then made several substitutions including bringing Club Captain Tom Powell onto the field.

This seemed to energise the Otters and within minutes Powell was instrumental in setting up the next score.

From a dropped pass by the home team Powell got his foot to the ball and booted it downfield. He won the chase and when the ball was quickly recycled it was fed out wide to centre James who brushed off the first tackler and dived over to score a try in the corner.

The game was now beyond the reach of the home team and with the last move of the game that man Powell was again on hand to score a try under the posts converted by Rogers to bring up the final score of 22-42 in favour of the Otters.

It was certainly not Narberth’s best performance of the season but continued their unbeaten run with eight straight wins.