NARBERTH travelled to Maesteg Quins for their last away match of the Admiral National Championship West season.

Quins started the game well gaining territory with accurate kicking downfield which kept the Otters pinned within their 22m line.

Quins failed to take advantage of this pressure and Narberth were first to get points on the board when scrum half Lewys Gibby collected a loose ball from a lineout and ran in from 30 metres out to score a try under the posts converted by fly half Jonathan Rogers.

The Otters started to exert more control on the game but were initially unable to break down a stubborn home team defence.

Then, from a scrum, centre Aled Rees spotted a gap in the Quins defence and raced downfield.

He passed the ball to the supporting Gibby who again ran in under the posts for another try converted by Rogers.

Immediately from the kick off Narberth infringed at the breakdown and Quins full back slotted over the easy penalty (3-14).

Within minutes the Otters had extended their lead when a well-executed kick by Rogers was caught by right wing Josh Evans who beat his opposite number and ran in for another try converted by Rogers.

Narberth were now hitting a purple patch and when Gibby took a quick penalty from a scrum infringement he released the ball to left wing Dean James who broke through the Quins defence and then passed to supporting flanker Guto Davies who scored the Otters fourth bonus point try again converted by Rogers.

Maesteg Quins refused to give up and just before half time a jinking run from their fly half saw him score near to the posts for a try converted by the Quins full back to bring the score to 10-28 at theinterval.

Shortly after the break, a training ground move off a scrum saw centre Rees once again slice through a gap in the Quins defence and race in for a try under the posts duly converted by Rogers.

With windy and wet conditions deteriorating during the afternoon there were to be no further points scored leaving the final score at 10-35 in favour of the Otters.

Sadly, right at the end of the match wing Dean James after making a powerful run downfield was tackled and suffered a severe injury to his leg requiring him to be stretchered off the field.

It has subsequently transpired that he has unfortunately broken his ankle and all at the Narberth club wish him a speedy recovery.

Next week the Otters are home to Bonymaen in what should be a very tough encounter with Narberth desperate for a win to keep them top of the division.