Pembrokeshire County Council’s former leader Cllr Jon Harvey has spoken of his two years in the role, saying it “is not about photo opportunities, and not about headlines, but getting on with the job”.

Pembroke St Mary North member Cllr Harvey became leader in May 2024, replacing Cllr David Simpson, having previously served on his Cabinet.

After Cllr Harvey’s announcement he would not continue as leader, a three-way all-women challenge was held for the leadership role, with Cllr Tessa Hodgson beating Cllr Anji Tinley by one vote to become leader.

Speaking at the AGM on May 15, just before the leadership battle, Cllr Harvey outlined a record of his time as leader.

Giving thanks to his predecessor in the leader role, Cllr David Simpson, he said: “It’s been an absolutely great honour to lead the council for the past two years, building on the work of David Simpson and my time in Cabinet.”

He also thanked fellow Cabinet colleagues and staff for their “commitment and professionalism,” and his wife Sarah and friends and family, saying: “If you do this role properly it’s 24-7; I’ve only had 10 days off in the last two years, it goes with the territory.”

He added: “As an administration We have much to be proud of, regeneration and investment of our town centres, with the Haverfordwest interchange and the ‘signature bridge’ open in Haverfordwest and the works at Haverfordwest Castle, and I’m confident of a formal announcement for retail at the old Wilko site.

“In Pembroke works are happening at important listed buildings that were left decaying pre-2017, with South Quay due to open in 2027, bringing added footfall into the town and saving on the social services budget.”

He said that while there were many naysayers to the costs of these projects, “the reality is we have secured significant amounts of grants, minimising the burden on the taxpayers”.

On education, Cllr Harvey said he was “particularly pleased with the opening of Ysgol Penfro in 2024,” and the administration was “committed to a new secondary in Milford Haven,” adding the performance figures as a local authority for A levels and GCSEs had improved.

He said Pembrokeshire now had the third highest number of affordable housing schemes based on population in Wales, and there had been significant investment in leisure facilities, with plans for new centres in Pembroke and Milford Haven, along with a new library in Narberth.

He finished by saying: “Leadership is not about photo opportunities, and not about headlines, but getting on with the job,” adding the three-way all-women contest for his former role would “make history,” and was “something to celebrate in itself”.

Presiding member Cllr Simon Hancock described Cllr Harvey as “an exemplary leader,” adding: “We are indebted to you to a very great extent.”

A vote of thanks for Cllr Harvey was later held, with Cllr Paul Miller saying: “The county owe their thanks [to Cllr Harvey] even if the majority don’t know it; such is politics.”