Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) we are urging communities take precautions when using candles.
Candles are a popular way to make homes cosier in the winter evenings but it’s important to remember that candles are an open flame which can cause devastation if left unattended. Richard Felton, Head of Community Safety said:
“Candles pose a big risk, especially when left unattended however we understand that many people wish to use them for a variety of different reasons, whether it is part of a religious or seasonal celebration, or simply to make their homes smell nice.We are asking communities to help in reducing the fire risk associated with candles by swapping a wax candle for LED ones. LED candles are a safer option; they last longer and provide the same effect as real ones. We would advise households to use LED candles in pumpkins for Hallowe’en and especially around synthetic costumes.
If you are going to use real candles, please make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your property.”