Tenby to represent Swansea City AFC at Stamford Bridge

By Observer Reporter in Football

On Monday, March 6, our football team travelled to Swansea to take part in the final tournament to decide on who would represent Swansea City AFC at the Premier League football tournament held at Stamford Bridge in May. Not conceding a goal in the two tournaments we had played this year meant that our confidence was high, but we knew we would be playing some seriously good teams from all over south and west Wales.

We started confidently, winning the first game 5-1. The second game was not so easy, though, and, although we had lots of chances, we ended up losing 2-1. This was our first loss of the year and our heads went down. The third and fourth games were tight, tense affairs, which we won 2-1 and 3-1. These wins meant that we topped our group despite the loss.

We played Ysgol y Dderwen in the semi-final, which turned out to be like most semi-finals, extremely close. Although we dominated possession throughout, we only managed one goal and Y Dderwen looked dangerous on the break.

With almost the last kick of the game they equalised and sent the match into extra-time. We played very well in extra-time and scored two more goals to look comfortable at 3-1. True to form, 30 seconds before the final whistle we conceded again, meaning that the last 30 seconds were incredibly anxious!

The final was with Ysgol Dewi Sant from Llanelli and we started brilliantly. We had lots of chances, but their ’keeper and the posts kept us out. It looked like it may not be our day, but a long range shot from one of our defenders slipped through their ’keeper’s grasp.

We relaxed and had plenty of shots, but similarly to other games, they counter-attacked when we lost concentration and equalised and the game went to extra-time.

Momentum was definitely on their side and our heads went down once more. Luckily, our captain blasted us into the lead once more and we started to believe that victory was ours.

With the last kick of the game, their striker burst through and drove the ball across our goal. Our ’keeper made a great save, but palmed the ball directly to their other striker who was three yards out. It looked a certain goal as he volleyed the ball perfectly back towards goal.

Unbelievably our keeper, who was the on the ground from the last shot managed to somehow catch the ball as it had passed him.

It was an unbelievable save, which signalled the end of the game.

The boys now will be travelling to Stamford Bridge (on the Swansea first team coach) representing Swansea against the best primary school teams from each of the other Premier League teams, which will be refereed by Premier League referees.

Also in attendance will be some Chelsea players. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the players and we wish them all the best at this special event.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C