Soccer round-up

By Observer Reporter in Football

Compared to last year, this season has been a breeze for the county’s football administrators with the weather not causing too many problems for players and clubs.

That said, the weekend just gone was the worst in terms of cancellations this season, with a host of games postponed due to the inclement weather. Only a handful were able to take place and those would have been mudbaths for the teams concerned.

In division one, the derby between Carew and Lamphey went the way of the Stags as they travelled back over the Ridgeway having won a hard fought clash 4-3.

In a couple of months’ time, Alex Bailey, James Hinchliffe and Iwan Izzard will be starring across the county’s cricket fields, yet they were the players to score for the hosts as they almost pulled off their 10th win of the season.

As it happens, it was the Stags who earned that as they prevailed thanks to a Mike Davies hat-trick and one from Dan Kitts.

Monkton’s game at Goodwick was postponed, as was Narberth’s home game against Neyland.

Angle took to the field, however, and came away with nothing at Merlins Bridge, losing 4-1 to the Senior Cup finalists.

There were also postponements for Tenby and Pennar who were due to play Milford United and West Dragons, respectively.

In division two, Saundersfoot’s game at Fishguard was off, while at Hundleton, the hosts were involved in a ding dong battle, with St. Clears winning 3-2. Brandon Sture, Craig Manning and Aaron Goldsmith scored for the hosts, while John Sealey and Josh Jones scored for the Saints.

Lawrenny drew 0-0 at Tish.

In division three, Narberth seconds went down 9-2 at Broad Haven, with Peter Phillips and Tom Walters scoring for the visitors, while Carew seconds had the edge over Pendine, winning 4-1. Ryan Davies nipped in for a brace for the hosts, with Tom Arthur and Jason Knox scoring the others.

Pennar Robins’ seconds lost 3-2 at Clarbeston Road reserves, with Mikey Powell and Gideon Hockin scoring for the Robins, while Manorbier United secured one of their better wins of the season, winning 5-1 at Milford Athletic. Mike Ryder scored twice for the visitors, with the other goals coming from Andrew Joseph, Joe McKeown and Martin Protheroe.

Kilgetty’s game at Milford United seconds’ was postponed.

There was great news for Pennar Robins’ thirds as they eased their way into the final of the Fourth Division Cup following a 2-0 win over St. Ishmaels’ seconds at Angle.

In league action, Lamphey seconds lost 4-1 at home to Hubberston, while St. Clears’ seconds lost 4-1 at home to Angle seconds. Marcus Humm scored for the Saints, while Ryan Bowen, Simon Lewis, Stuart Ferrier and Dalton Boswell scored for the victors.

Ashley Smith was on fire for St. Florence, scoring four of the Saints’ goals in their 6-3 win over Pembroke Boro. Lewis Deforge and Phil Evans were the others to score, while for the Boro, Jason Beynon scored twice and Phil John the other.

In division five, Carew thirds drew 0-0 with Camrose seconds, Kilgetty seconds lost 3-0 at home to Llangwm seconds, while Hundleton seconds beat their counterparts from Lawrenny 2-0.

The game between Monkton Swifts’ seconds and Milford United thirds was postponed.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C